This third edition of Beta Mathematics is written for Level 5 Mathematics and Statistics in the New Zealand Curriculum. The content matches the three curriculum strands: Number and Algebra, Geometry and Measurement, and Statistics.
As a key component in the only current New Zealand-written secondary mathematics series, Beta Mathematics is rich in cross-curricular applications, which are always grounded in a New Zealand context. The mathematical activities are designed to relate to the students' own experiences.
New to this edition:
- About 30 extra exercises for skills practice, by teacher request.
- Each chapter has a new summary exercise at the end, called 'Checking Your Understanding'.
- The questions are graded in difficulty in the usual David Barton style.
- New material on: unit ratios, algebraic fractions, converting area units, parallel and perpendicular lines, a variety of lively new puzzles and investigations to add interest, and show maths in unexpected situations.
- The Statistics section has been extensively over-hauled to put the emphasis on interpreting data displays and distributions
- Thoroughly updated to reflect GST, tax rates, realistic prices, and more